Translate

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Persimmon Butter

I can't believe I didn't find this Spiced Persimmon Butter recipe earlier. I wasted a bunch of persimmons trying to make jam that resulted in seriously overly sweet firm jam, which I ended up throwing out. :( This persimmon butter is so easy to make if you have a slow cooker and a free day!!!!! AND it's amazing!!!!!!

All you need is 20 persimmons, 1 lemon, 1/4 cup honey or agave syrup, 1 tsp cinnamon powder, 1/2 tsp ground cloves and 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg.

In a slow cooker, add your peeled, cored (seeds removed), chopped persimmons. Juice 1 lemon and pour it over the persimmons. Cover with lid and cook on HIGH for 2 hours.

My persimmons 2 hours later. Mash the persimmons (with a potato masher if you have it) and add in the honey and spices. Give it a good stir. Then continue to cook the persimmons on LOW heat for the next 8 hours, stirring occasionally so the butter doesn't burn. 

An hour later, my persimmon looks like it has the potential to be jam. I don't own a potato masher so obviously I didn't do a great job mashing....

Roughly another 2 hours later, you can tell a lot of the water has evaporated. I then took an immersion blender and blended everything up. Looked like a version of applesauce. So, I knew it needed to be cooked longer.

And finally, 3 hours later, the butter is ready! You can kind of tell it's ready when you stir it up and it stays on your spatula rather than sliding off. 

PS: Mine was ready in about 6 hours instead of 8 hours most likely because I placed mine in a huge slow cooker. This means it had a larger surface area for the water to evaporate.

Sterilized, then filled 2 pint jars and a 6 oz jar. I use this like I would butter or peanut butter. I spread the persimmon butter on toasts, waffles, scones, etc. Occasionally, I just eat a spoonful! :D Mm-mmmm deliciousness!

No comments: