Translate

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Lemon Pudding Cake

So my dad had just given me a small bag of huge lemons from his dwarf lemon tree. We hardly just lemons, so it usually just sit around the kitchen. And then my hubby's boss gives us a huge bag of more lemons. I thought, "What to do with all these lemons?!?," searched the web and settled on this recipe because it looked different. Lo and behold! It only called for 1 lemon. -_- 

"In a medium bowl, whisk 3/4 cup granulated sugar with 1/3 cup all-purpose flour. In another bowl, whisk 3 large egg yolks with 2 tablespoons unsalted butter until well blended. Whisk in 1 cup milk
  1. 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest. Pour the lemon mixture into the sugar mixture and whisk until smooth." For those that know me, I used the kitchenaid thingy as we don't have any hand whisk... I just hate washing those...
"In a medium bowl, beat the 3 large egg whites with 1/4 teaspoon salt  until firm peaks form." If I remember correctly, this took 15 minutes. I was running out of time before people showed up so the peak isn't all that firm...

"Gently fold the egg whites into the lemon mixture." I then poured the batter into a Pam'd silicon thing that had 12 rectangles. I thought it'd look like a cute mini cake. A bit too mini for my liking. Poured the batter in half way cuz I thought it would rise, it did very little, then when I refrigerated it so it could cool, the rise deflated... Then placed it in a pan. "Place the silicon pan in the oven and pour in enough hot water [in the pan] to reach halfway up the sides of the [silicone pan]."

"Bake the pudding cakes for 35 minutes or until they are puffy and golden on top."
Ta-da!
Served with whip cream and ice cream. Twas light and refreshing! The texture took getting used to though. It was like half moist cake, half pudding. 

I was thinking it'd be a great batter for those fruit tart desserts.

No comments: