Translate

Friday, May 10, 2013

Baked Egg Custard

For our first foodiestuffers post post-wedding and honeymoon, I made my hubby an egg custard. Not the sweet dessert type, but one made with keto-friendly ingredients: cheese n chives. We were skeptical at first because the cheese we used was mild Le Gruyère and it smelled and tasted like stinky feet. Here's the ingredients that were used:
6oz le Gruyère
1/2 cup chopped chives
1-1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
10 large eggs
4oz cream cheese
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
heavy pinch of ground black pepper
1/4 tsp kosher salt

1. Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Generously butter a 2-quart shallow baking dish.
2. Sprinkle Gruyère and chives evenly in the dish. (Don't mix it with the egg mixture! I did that and when I poured it out, the cheese wasn't spread evenly and all the chives floated...)
3. Blend eggs, heavy cream, cream cheese, nutmeg, pepper and salt in a mixing bowl with a hand blender until well blended.
4. Pour egg mixture over Gruyère and chives.
5. Bake until puffed, set, and golden, 35 to 45 minutes. (It took 45-60 minutes for me, I think, because I used a ceramic dish instead of pyrex glassware)
Either I didn't let it bake long enough or I didn't let it set long enough. Either way, this custard was deliciously scrumptious even with stinky cheese!




No comments: