Translate

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Onion Soup

There are lots of variations of the onion soup, but the way we make it is the simplest version that I learned from my mom. We chopped up 4-5 big brown onions and then cook/saute until brown. 

The browner the better. I was losing my patience and this was as brown as I got them. (I did them in two batches). Then I placed the onions in a big pot of water with a can of chicken broth (it should really be beef broth, but in my opinion, either works). I boiled and then simmered for 4-5 hours til the onions were melt-in-your-mouth soft. 

Ladle in soup bowl, top with bread and cheese. Normally, we use sliced french bread and shredded mozzarella, but we didn't have any on hand, so I just used regular sliced wheat bread and cheddar cheese. Still quite delicious in my tum-tum :)

No comments: