Translate

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

DIY Hot Pocket!

Maybe instead of DIY, I should patent the word BIY for bake it yourself. Hahaha. Anyhoo, le hubster was having a blah day at work and so I wanted to (small) surprise him with a keto-friendly hot pocket! I got the grand idea that the bread part could be made from the coconut bread recipe (use 1/2 the recipe). But instead of placing the dough into a bread pan, I'd just spread it out on a baking sheet. And the filling could be made with salami and cheese. Here's what I used:
Bread ingredients:
3 eggs
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 tsp kosher salt or sea salt
1 tsp splenda
1/4 cup + 2 tbs coconut flour
1/4 cup water
Filling ingredients:
Slices of Pepper jack cheese
Salami pieces, chopped

First, make the breading in a food processor. Add the eggs. Blend it for a few seconds. Then add the butter, salt and splenda. Blend again until the butter is broken up. Then add the coconut flour. Blend again. It should look pretty dry. Then add the water and blend once more. Once it's done, spray Pam on your baking sheet and then add a layer of coconut bread. I chose to make a huge rectangular hot pocket. Then I layered slices of pepper jack cheese, then salami pieces, then more pepper jack and again more salami and then one more slice of pepper jack. However, le hubster said there should be more cheese so maybe add two layers of cheese, then salami, then two layers of cheese, then more salami and then another two layers of cheese. 

Then add the rest of the coconut bread dough on top of your filling to close it up. Once closed, take a chopstick or fork and poke holes in the top to let any air escape when baking.

Then bake it in a preheated oven of 350°F for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned.

Serve hot and fresh out of the oven.
It looked real good, but I didn't try it as I'm not a fan of pepperjack cheese (too spicy). And le hubster was so blah, he wasn't terribly excited about it like I was. Apparently, he had a lot of hot pockets when he was a kid and it wasn't all that great. He did, however, like my version, though as mentioned earlier, it needed more cheese. At least I got a request for another one. :o)


No comments: