Translate

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pork Cabbage Mushroom Dumplings/Potsickers

Lately, I've been in a rut in terms of coming up with something delicious to eat and that means I get real lazy when it comes time to cook dinner. Every now and then, I just can't eat chicken or beef anymore. And usually that means busting out the dumplings (or junk food when dad's not home.heh). So here's what I used to make mushroom dumplings:

1 lb ground pork
2 1/4 cups cabbage, shredded in the food processor to cole slaw small
1 1/2 tbs minced ginger
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbs sesame oil
1/4 tofu or 4.5oz (I used silken tofu, 18oz)
8 shitake dried mushrooms, rehydrated then chopped


Just place everything in a bowl and mix well with your hands. I'm guessing food processor would work fine as well. Below picture has everything mixed except for the tofu and mushrooms. I decided to add those afterwards.

With round gyoza wrappers:

With square dumpling wrappers:

It's always fun making mandalas out of the dumplings :) It's foodie artwork!

So once you've got a plate full of dumplings, you want to place them in the freezer for about 10-20 minutes until they've somewhat harden. Then place them in a plastic baggie and leave it in the freezer til you're ready to eat them up.

My family LOVES whenever I make potstickers. Unfortunately for the hubster, during the week when he's on keto, he can't eat them. These were just perfect with soy sauce and vinegar. I love it!

The way I make these potstickers is by heating up a nonstick pan on medium high heat. Add about 2-3 tbs of oil and swirl it around the pan. Then place the dumplings down but try not to let them touch otherwise they'll stick together. Then add about 1/4 cup of water. Be careful, with the oil in the pot, it'll start to splatter. Cover and let steam cook for 7-8 minutes. Remove lid and let the reminder of the water dry up. You should see brown spot in the pan. Time to get a spatula and start flipping the dumpling. And just fry up the other sides. Add more oil if needed.



No comments: