Translate

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Fruit Salad and Banana Chips

I wanted to make a fruit salad for our bbq today and had been thinking of flavors that would go well together. I thought about white peaches, nectarines and blueberries. Then I found this Blueberry Peach Fruit Salad recipe, which uses the exact fruits I had in mind! Unfortunately, I didn't have fresh thyme on hand and didn't think dried thyme would work that well so I didn't make it. Instead, I added kiwis for an extra tart flavor and hoped that the peaches and nectarines would balance it out with their sweetness. The fruit salad was quite appetizing. I used 2 white peaches, 3 nectarines, 2 cups of blueberries, 1 kiwi and 3 tbs lemon juice. It sat in the fridge for 2+ hours before it was served.


For the banana chips, it's just bananas and lemon juice. The lemon juice keeps it from browning. Pretty much all you do is slice up a banana or two, dip it in lemon juice and bake it in the oven at 200°F or as low as your oven can go for lots of hours until it's chip-like and crunchy. I did mine for 3 hours and some still weren't crunchy.... I would say it was almost like banana jerky, though it was sweet and pretty hard to put down! PS: Do NOT bake on parchment paper. It was difficult removing the slices and I assume harder for the moisture to evaporate -_- Next time, I'd spray PAM on the cookie sheet. If you have a dehydrator, even better! I wish I had a finished picture but I ended up eating them all before I remembered :(

No comments: