Translate

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Kale Chips

For Valentine's day, I present to you with........ Kale Chips!

One bunch kale leaves, rinsed and spin dried - stems removed

Kale chip seasoning:
3 tbs olive oil, 2 tbs lemon juice, 2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 2 huge tbs chopped dill ( I used 1 tbs dried dill weed)

I put on gloves and rubbed the seasoning on each kale leaf.

Before pictures:
Bake in preheated oven of 250F for 40 minutes. 

After pictures:
They shrank a lot! Most chips were amazingly delicious and quite crisp, but there were a few chips that were a bit sour because of the lemon. If I ever make this again, I might cut down on the lemon juice to 1 tbs instead. While it is a bit of work rubbing down each leaf with the seasoning, it sure is tasty! Also, it was really really slightly burnt so should aim to bake it for 35-37 minutes instead of a full 40.

2 comments:

Mia said...

Just found your blog in one of your old emails! So I made kale chips right after the 4th of July BBQ and half of it was soggy and kind of tough! I read somewhere it's because the kale was still wet, but I spin dry and pat dry with paper towel. How did you dry your kale?

Spirited said...

Hi Mia! Actually, I spin dry and pat dry too. If it's soggy, you might need to break the kale pieces more evenly. In other words, the bigger pieces would take longer to dry. Could also be you need to coat the pieces more evenly as a leaf with more coating would also take longer to dry. Hope this helps!