Translate

Monday, January 14, 2013

Keto-friendly Cheesecake

If you're on a keto diet, you must be really missing out on some sweet stuff. That was my poor fiance until I found a keto friendly cheesecake for him! This was a small batch that I wanted to try out first and it came out wonderfully!
FYI: I made a coconut crust because I didn't have flax or almond meal.

Coconut Crust: 1/4 cup room temp butter, 1 egg, 1/8 tsp sea salt, 1/4+1/8 cup coconut flour. Mix the first three ingredients then add the coconut flour in stages. Once everything is well incorporated, pour it into your pie-ware. I just pounded it down with my fist since cheesecakes don't normally have a side crust. Poke holes with a fork. Place in preheated oven of 400 degrees F for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the filling...

Cheesecake filling ingredients: 8oz cream cheese, 1 egg, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp lemon juice, 2 tbs splenda. 

Cheesecake filling instructions: Beat cream cheese until creamy (I did this by hand for about 2 minutes). Then add the egg and beat until well mixed. Add the vanilla extract or your keto friendly substitute and the lemon juice and the splenda. Mix again. Then pour into your crust.
Once you've pulled out your crust, lower your oven to 325 degrees F. Place your uncooked cheesecake and cook for an hour. Check for done-ness via the toothpick method (needs to pull out cleanly from the center)
Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
It totally hit the spot for my hubby. Now I need to make a bigger batch for him...

PS: For a no brown top cheesecake, it needs to cook at a lower temperature (300F) but for a longer time (60-120 minutes) I just didn't want to wait that long.

PSS: Since I'm not on the keto diet and I strongly dislike the splenda aftertaste, I'm totally going to make another pie using regular sugar!






Johnson & Johnson JOJ200025 Splenda Sugar Substitute- 1.0g- (Google Affiliate Ad)

No comments: